[Alsaplayer-devel]some ideas

Pieter De Troyer pieter.detroyer@mech.kuleuven.ac.be
Thu, 14 Jun 2001 00:05:17 +0200 (CEST)

Hey all,

I'm digging in the source-code of alsaplayer to better understand it, but
it's hard from time to time. Is there any documentation about design
concepts?

The thing is that I would like to extend the code (if necessary) to be
able to do some more DJ-stuff:

-looping between to memory points (are memorypoints already supported?)
-search per frame: while (slow) searching continuously play the current
frame, so one could position the player at a certain point in the song,
not relying on the timing info. This results in a stuttering output while
searching.
-cue the player on a point in the song found by the search. if cued, the
player should start at this point when he's started.
-(low priority) scratching support. TerminatorX does this, perhaps it's
not too hard to integrate that trick into alsa-player

some more questions:

-how small can I make the player? I won't run X on the machine which runs
the player, so I don't need all the visual addons, is it possible to
compile the player without those?

thx Pieter