[Alsaplayer-devel]"Unavailable hw params"

James Tappin james@xena.uklinux.net
Thu, 18 Oct 2001 19:14:55 +0100

On Wednesday 17 October 2001 23:36, Andy Lo A Foe wrote:
> Can you please paste the full error message you get? I've also put it
> some more debugging lines so it will hopefully at least tell us which
> parameter is failing.
>
> Thanks,
> Andy

Hi Andy,
=09Here is the message. It looks as if the problem is that the HW device =
on=20
the ice1712 chipset only accepts S32_LE format (which I know is the case)=
=20
and alsaplayer is trying to force S16_LE. I'm not sure whether it would b=
e=20
better to switch to using alsa plugin devices or for alsaplayer to try a=20
range of formats until it finds one the HW likes. The other HW setting=20
that I think will nail us is that the HW devices only operate on 10=20
channels, which is set a few lines later.

[james: 7:33] :_alsaplayer
AlsaPlayer 0.99.52
(C) 1999-2001 Andy Lo A Foe <andy@alsaplayer.org> and others.
Output plugin: ALSA output v1.9.0beta8
error on set_format SND_PCM_FORMAT_S16_LE
Unavailable hw params:
ACCESS:  RW_INTERLEAVED
FORMAT:  S32_LE
SUBFORMAT:  STD
SAMPLE_BITS: 32
FRAME_BITS: 320
CHANNELS: 10
RATE: [8000 96000]
PERIOD_TIME: (20 409500]
PERIOD_SIZE: [2 3276]
PERIOD_BYTES: [80 131040]
PERIODS: [1 1024]
BUFFER_TIME: (20 819125]
BUFFER_SIZE: [2 6553]
BUFFER_BYTES: [80 262120]
TICK_TIME: 10000
ERROR: failed to set fragment size/count. Exiting...

[I also noticed that when playing a wav file with the oss output plugin=20
that the display shows the wrong bit depth namely 137361992 instead of 16=
,=20
it seems to be consistent, rather than a large random number].

James

--=20
James Tappin,               O__      "I forget the punishment for using
james@xena.uklinux.net     --  \/`    Microsoft --- Something lingering
http://www.xena.uklinux.net/          with data loss in it I fancy" =20