[Alsaplayer-devel]"Unavailable hw params"

Andy Lo A Foe andy@alsaplayer.org
Wed, 31 Oct 2001 21:51:47 +0100

Hi James,

On Thu, Oct 18, 2001 at 07:14:55PM +0100, James Tappin wrote:

> 	Here is the message. It looks as if the problem is that the HW device on
> the ice1712 chipset only accepts S32_LE format (which I know is the case)
> and alsaplayer is trying to force S16_LE. I'm not sure whether it would be
> better to switch to using alsa plugin devices or for alsaplayer to try a
> range of formats until it finds one the HW likes. The other HW setting
> that I think will nail us is that the HW devices only operate on 10
> channels, which is set a few lines later.

Hmm, does this mean that your audio card always expects a stream that
has 10 interleaved channels? At least, when opened natively with ALSA?

I'm in the process of getting a "pro" card (Terratec EWX 24/96, advice
welcome!!) so I can test these features myself.

Andy