[Alsaplayer-devel]mpeg layer 3 plugin too old?

Andy Lo A Foe andy@alsaplayer.org
Sun, 10 Feb 2002 10:38:25 +0100

On Sun, Feb 10, 2002 at 04:58:07PM +1100, David Burrows wrote:

> control feature (for pitch and cueing).  I have succeeded with this,
> however I have found that alsaplayer cannot play some of my mp3s.  On
> further investigation they contain new ID3 tags, possibly they are in some
> slightly different kind of format.  Playing these mpg3s with mpg123 0.59r
> works fine.

That's right, the parse function in the current mp3 plugins is not
robust enough to deal with all kinds of prefixed mp3 files.

> Phew!  The MAD plugin doesn't work with them either.

find_initial_frame() is the function we need to modify to get these
files to work. Can you put a couple of them up for download somewhere?
It doesn't have to be the whole file, just the first 100K or so.

> Can someone maybe modifiy the CVS version to have a newer mpg123
> engine for me? :D

We are abandoning mpg123 for the MAD engine. The trouble with mpg123 is
that it was never lib-ified so, each new version requires rehacking it.
One of the features I'm working to is to eventually have all input
plugins producing data in floating point, the nice thing is that MAD
already does this (more accuracy).

> I'll swap the joystick code for it.

What you mean by this? :-)

Regards,