[Alsaplayer-devel]Digital Turntable with Alsaplayer

Andy Lo A Foe andy@alsaplayer.org
Sun, 10 Feb 2002 10:53:30 +0100

Hi Tim,

On Thu, Jan 31, 2002 at 02:01:29PM -0800, Tim Beamish wrote:

> I've created a digital turntable using Alsaplayer. It's not fully finished
> yet, but the basics are done. A turntable device controls the speed and
> direction of a digital audio file in Alsaplayer. All I've done to
> Alsaplayer so far is have the CorePlayer module adjust the speed of the
> playback based on reading a data structure created from the speed of the
> turntable. That part took about two lines of code. I need to work on
> improving the sound quality and implementing some new features. You can
> visit my project page for more info at:
> http://www.cs.ubc.ca/~tbeamish/digitalturntable.html

Drool!! :) ..May I put a link to your work on the alsaplayer page?

> Right now the project is kind of like the popular FinalScratch application
> that is getting lots of press except I can actually control the
> turntable's motor from the computer.

Cool, I went by the FinaLscratch folks a couple of months ago. They have
been at for for a couple of years now. They were going to use Linux (and
were even looking at alsaplayer at one point, however I think they're
afraid to use GPL stuff :).

> In the meantime, I'll be needing some help sifting through some of the
> Alsaplayer code. My current task is trying to link the CorePlayer file
> into a library I've created to read the turntable speed. I'm not sure how
> to go about doing this in the Makefile. I need to use some functions from
> my library in the CorePlayer file and I'm not sure how to get the
> auto-generated Makefile to link CorePlayer to my library.

I have never extracted CorePLayer into a lib or linked it with another
app so I'm not sure what the issues will be (there will be issues).

> happy if I just look at data structures in the library but when CorePlayer
> starts calling functions, it doesn't compile. I know this is probably
> fairly simple but does someone know where I fix the Makefile to make this
> happen?

Is your code available somewhere?

> Thanks for the help and also for making Alsaplayer.

Thanks for the great project! I wish I could get some study points for
my alsaplayer work though ;-)

Andy