[Alsaplayer-devel]mpeg layer 3 plugin too old?

David Burrows snadge@ugh.net.au
Sun, 10 Feb 2002 21:56:10 +1100 (EST)

Hi again,

On Sun, 10 Feb 2002, Andy Lo A Foe wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 10, 2002 at 04:58:07PM +1100, David Burrows wrote:
>
> > control feature (for pitch and cueing).  I have succeeded with this,
> > however I have found that alsaplayer cannot play some of my mp3s.  On
> > further investigation they contain new ID3 tags, possibly they are in some
> > slightly different kind of format.  Playing these mpg3s with mpg123 0.59r
> > works fine.
>
> That's right, the parse function in the current mp3 plugins is not
> robust enough to deal with all kinds of prefixed mp3 files.
>
> > Phew!  The MAD plugin doesn't work with them either.
>
> find_initial_frame() is the function we need to modify to get these
> files to work. Can you put a couple of them up for download somewhere?
> It doesn't have to be the whole file, just the first 100K or so

http://www.ugh.net.au/~snadge/test.mp3 - is the first few hundred K of
such an example.

> > Can someone maybe modifiy the CVS version to have a newer mpg123
> > engine for me? :D
>
> We are abandoning mpg123 for the MAD engine. The trouble with mpg123 is
> that it was never lib-ified so, each new version requires rehacking it.
> One of the features I'm working to is to eventually have all input
> plugins producing data in floating point, the nice thing is that MAD
> already does this (more accuracy).
>
> > I'll swap the joystick code for it.
>
> What you mean by this? :-)

Well its kind of tounge in cheek.  Alsaplayer as far as I can tell does
not have any kind of framework for a control plugin so I hacked
CorePlayer.cpp to spawn another thread called joystick_func, which simply
interprets the axis values as speed changes.  Its pretty hackish, if
anyone is interested I can send the changes.  It doesn't update the GUI
controls or display.

David.