[Alsaplayer-devel]mpeg layer 3 plugin too old?

David Burrows snadge@ugh.net.au
Mon, 11 Feb 2002 00:44:40 +1100 (EST)

On Sun, 10 Feb 2002, Andy Lo A Foe wrote:

> On Sun, Feb 10, 2002 at 09:56:10PM +1100, David Burrows wrote:
>
> > http://www.ugh.net.au/~snadge/test.mp3 - is the first few hundred K of
> > such an example.
>
> There's definitely something weird going on. Altough madplay does play
> the file, alsaplayer is a bit more picky. mpg123 0.59r gives a lot of
> weird errors on this file too. The find_initial_frame() function
> correctly skips the ID3 tag, but it looks like there is more non-MPEG
> information right after the end of the ID3 tag. I will check if this is
> fixable. This is why I prefer .ogg files over .mp3 anyday :-)

mpg123 0.59s-mh4 says

Found new ID3 Header
Searching for next FF header
MPEG 1.0 layer III, 160 kbit/s, 44100 Hz joint-stereo

file test.mp3 gives
test.mp3: mp3 file with ID3 2.0 tag

My guess is a check to skip over the extra crap (id3 2.0 tag) could solve
the problem.

> > Well its kind of tounge in cheek.  Alsaplayer as far as I can tell does
> > not have any kind of framework for a control plugin so I hacked
> > CorePlayer.cpp to spawn another thread called joystick_func, which simply
> > interprets the axis values as speed changes.  Its pretty hackish, if
> > anyone is interested I can send the changes.  It doesn't update the GUI
> > controls or display.
>
> socket interface! (Ok, I'll stop mentioning this until I have a
> working version :-)

Sounds interesting.. :)  I've been thinking of a few other little ideas
like a pmidi type input plugin, maybe a c64 sid input plugin as well.  I
realise that midi is not technically a pcm type plugin, but if multiple
copies of alsaplayer are loaded the ability to manually sync pcm streams
to midi (close enough to realtime) is too tempting to dismiss. ;)

Cheers,

Dave.