[Alsaplayer-devel]Alsaplayer and Hammerfall

patrick reardon spatrick@flash.net
Sat, 16 Feb 2002 10:32:17 -0600

hi all,

thought i'd make another stab at getting Alsaplayer working with my Hammerfall.
i hope to make a virtual device (using Alsa's asoundrc file) which resembles a
standard stereo card and use that with Alsaplayer.  i read that creating a
simple "virtual" stereo card is possible by using 4 channels on the Hammerfall
(2 for left in/out, and 2 for right in/out).

the hammerfall is the only card installed here and my asoundrc file is as simple
as they come.  it only names a PCM device "hammerfall" which reflects the
*actual* hardware capabilities.  i.e. -- no "virtual" devices are set up at
present.  from the error messages below, i'm not sure if the Hammerfall's 18
channels or its non-interleaved data streams are the problem.  maybe both? or
..... ???

my question is: which parameters are *nonnegotiable* with Alsaplayer?  if i knew
that then i could try to configure a virtual device which has the features
Alsaplayer is looking for.

i tried the -d option to specify the PCM device "hammerfall" and got this error.

-------------snip--------------------------
$ alsaplayer -d hammerfall
AlsaPlayer 0.99.53
(C) 1999-2001 Andy Lo A Foe <andy@alsaplayer.org> and others.
Output plugin: ALSA output v1.9.0beta8
error on set_access SND_PCM_ACCESS_RW_INTERLEAVED
Unavailable hw params:
ACCESS:  MMAP_NONINTERLEAVED RW_NONINTERLEAVED
FORMAT:  S32_LE
SUBFORMAT:  STD
SAMPLE_BITS: 32
FRAME_BITS: [320 576]
CHANNELS: [10 18]
RATE: [44100 96000]
PERIOD_TIME: (666 185760)
PERIOD_SIZE: [64 8192]
PERIOD_BYTES: [2560 589824]
PERIODS: 2
BUFFER_TIME: (1333 371520)
BUFFER_SIZE: [128 16384]
BUFFER_BYTES: [5120 1048576]
TICK_TIME: 10000
failed to set fragment size/count. Exiting...
------------snip---------------------------------

with no options i get a slightly different error message.

------------snip--------------
$ alsaplayer
AlsaPlayer 0.99.53
(C) 1999-2001 Andy Lo A Foe <andy@alsaplayer.org> and others.
Output plugin: ALSA output v1.9.0beta8
error on set_periods (8)
Unavailable hw params:
ACCESS:  RW_INTERLEAVED
FORMAT:  S16_LE
SUBFORMAT:  STD
SAMPLE_BITS: 16
FRAME_BITS: 32
CHANNELS: 2
RATE: 44100
PERIOD_TIME: (23219 23220)
PERIOD_SIZE: 1024
PERIOD_BYTES: 4096
PERIODS: 2
BUFFER_TIME: (46439 46440)
BUFFER_SIZE: 2048
BUFFER_BYTES: 8192
TICK_TIME: 10000
failed to set fragment size/count. Exiting...

thanks in advance for any help,
patrick