[Alsaplayer-devel]Alsaplayer and Hammerfall

Andy Lo A Foe andy@alsaplayer.org
Sat, 16 Feb 2002 19:00:27 +0100

Hi Patrick,

On Sat, Feb 16, 2002 at 10:32:17AM -0600, patrick reardon wrote:

> standard stereo card and use that with Alsaplayer.  i read that creating a
> simple "virtual" stereo card is possible by using 4 channels on the Hammerfall
> (2 for left in/out, and 2 for right in/out).

As a quick fix for now you can install jackd (http://jackit.sf.net) and
use the -o jack output 'plugin' with alsaplayer. I can confirm that this
works very well on a hammerfall, since the principal jack author used a
hammerfall for development. You get added benefit of being able to
connect multiple alsaplayer processes to the same jack, and you can even
select the output ports you want to use:

(alsaplayer -o jack -d alsa_pcm:out_1,alsa_pcm:out_2)

> (C) 1999-2001 Andy Lo A Foe <andy@alsaplayer.org> and others.
> Output plugin: ALSA output v1.9.0beta8
> error on set_access SND_PCM_ACCESS_RW_INTERLEAVED
> Unavailable hw params:
> ACCESS:  MMAP_NONINTERLEAVED RW_NONINTERLEAVED

I will start modifying the ALSA driver to cope with non-interleaving
cards and 24-bit output, it is possible (as the jack plugin
demonstrates).

Regards,
Andy