[Alsaplayer-devel]Alsaplayer and Hammerfall

Andy Lo A Foe andy@alsaplayer.org
Mon, 18 Feb 2002 15:19:56 +0100

On Sat, Feb 16, 2002 at 08:36:13PM -0600, patrick reardon wrote:

> #alsaplayer -o jack
>
> it sounds perfect!!  speed is just right and i can't cause a dropout or pop even
> with lots of other activity.

Nice! Currently jack requires that you run client under the same user as
the jackd server. You can optionally make alsaplayer suid root, I just
fixed a bug that prevented the gtk+ interface from coming up when
running suid root.

> BTW, without the -r 44100 option to jackd, the PCM device defaulted (i guess
> that's what happened) to 48000 KHz which alsaplayer reported when it started
> up.  that must be why the WAV's i tested (all recorded at 44100) seemed about
> 10% too slow.

AlsaPlayer should do down/up sampling if the sample rate of the file is
not what the output device expects.

> i also tried (again running jackd without the option -r 44100) passing
> alsaplayer the option "--frequency 44100" but it made no difference and the
> WAV's still ran slow.

When using JACK output alsaplayer gets it's frequency settings
from the jackd server.

In other news: I'm working on a new release slated for later today
hopefully. This will be the first release that is somewhat friendly to
developers of alternate plugins and remote control programs. You will be
able to link against a libalsaplayer shared object which will provide
the necessary functionality to control the alsaplayer process
externally. The install procedure will also install some header files
and an alsaplayer-config script which can be used to build external
plugins.

Andy