[Alsaplayer-devel]aRts support?

Richard Boulton richard@tartarus.org
07 Jan 2002 20:38:39 +0000

I don't believe alsaplayer has support for artsd at the moment, but it
shouldn't be hard at all to add it.

I put together an artsc (C wrapper library for artsd) interface for
gstreamer one evening last year; it shouldn't be hard to do the same for
alsaplayer.  The programatic interface is _very_ similar to that for
esd.

Alternatively, I think CSL ("Common Sound Layer") is meant to be a
flexible framework for such things, which supports arts.  Implementing
an alsaplayer output plugin for that would probably be worthwhile.

Finally, in the meanwhile, there's an "artsdsp" program, which should
help.  Tell alsaplayer to use OSS output, but run it inside artsdsp.
ie:

artsdsp alsaplayer -o esd

HTH
--