[Alsaplayer-devel]Digital Turntable with Alsaplayer

Tim Beamish tbeamish@cs.ubc.ca
Thu, 31 Jan 2002 14:01:29 -0800 (PST)

Howdy Alsaplayer folks,

I've created a digital turntable using Alsaplayer. It's not fully finished
yet, but the basics are done. A turntable device controls the speed and
direction of a digital audio file in Alsaplayer. All I've done to
Alsaplayer so far is have the CorePlayer module adjust the speed of the
playback based on reading a data structure created from the speed of the
turntable. That part took about two lines of code. I need to work on
improving the sound quality and implementing some new features. You can
visit my project page for more info at:
http://www.cs.ubc.ca/~tbeamish/digitalturntable.html

Right now the project is kind of like the popular FinalScratch application
that is getting lots of press except I can actually control the
turntable's motor from the computer.

In the meantime, I'll be needing some help sifting through some of the
Alsaplayer code. My current task is trying to link the CorePlayer file
into a library I've created to read the turntable speed. I'm not sure how
to go about doing this in the Makefile. I need to use some functions from
my library in the CorePlayer file and I'm not sure how to get the
auto-generated Makefile to link CorePlayer to my library. Everything is
happy if I just look at data structures in the library but when CorePlayer
starts calling functions, it doesn't compile. I know this is probably
fairly simple but does someone know where I fix the Makefile to make this
happen?

Thanks for the help and also for making Alsaplayer.

Tim