[Alsaplayer-devel] Update and future direction

John sound at slotcar.chicago.il.us
Sun Jan 30 23:37:18 GMT 2005

On Sun, Jan 30, 2005 at 10:54:48PM +0100, Andy Lo A Foe wrote:

> So it dawned upon me, why not improve the API/CORE and leave
> the GUI to seomeone else? I suck at it anyway. Or at least I think I can
> do a much better job doing the UI in Python, Ruby or even (gasp!) Java...

I use AlsaPlayer as the audio player in my "home grown" jukebox...thank you for everything you have done so far!

I only recently switced from using mpg123.  I was using mpg123 because of the more complete control it gives to interacting with it when not using a gui.  It generates  "events" that let the outside world know what it is up to (paused, stopped, etc).  I happened to use a perl (POE) based wrapper to mpg123.

My first attempt at integrating AlsaPlayer in this way would have involved some fundemental changes to to AlsaPlayer to support an event/call back mechanism.  An alternate idea that came up on this list involved creating a seperate daemon process.

In the end, I decided to hack it by using a combination of "alsaplayer -i text" spawned once per song so I can trap when the song is done playing and alsa lib for control (pause, resume, stop, etc).  It works for me, but has some limitations and uglyness I am dealing with.

I would like to see a core sound playing module that has a "straight forward" interface for control and call backs.  You mentioned dbus (on this list) as an approach.  This or something similar works for me.

Thanks again,

John