[Alsaplayer-devel] Update and future direction

Patrick Shirkey pshirkey at boosthardware.com
Mon Jan 31 04:02:52 GMT 2005

It's always good to see work being accomplished.

Last year there were a few people who wanted to make additions to the guis
expecially for the playlist. It seemed most people ended up using the backend
and creating their own anyway.

So it seems to me that future work should focus on exposing as much of the
api/core as possible.

Quoting Andy Lo A Foe <alsa at alsaplayer.org>:

> Hi All,
>
> Very long time indeed :)
>
> I've begun cleaning up some long overdue patches. I'm looking to release
> something soonish.
>   I've also been thinking of where to take the AlsaPlayer project. Since
> having a fulltime day job and maintaining an OSS project don't really
> mix well (unless your job *is* maintaining that OSS project) I need to
> make some decisions for myself. If I look at the current state I see:
>
> * A lightweight stable audio playback core.
> * A pretty good API to the core.
> * A miserable user interface.
>
> I started work on a GTK2 interface but after years of scripting and Java
> coding I just don't find it interesting to write a GUI in C/C++ against
> gtk2's API. So it dawned upon me, why not improve the API/CORE and leave
> the GUI to seomeone else? I suck at it anyway. Or at least I think I can
> do a much better job doing the UI in Python, Ruby or even (gasp!) Java...
>
> What do you think?
>
> Regards,
> Andy

 Patrick Shirkey - Boost Hardware Ltd.
 Http://www.boosthardware.com
 Http://www.djcj.org/ - The Linux Audio Users guide
 Http://www.djcj.org/gigs - Gigs Guide Korea

 Being on stage with the band in front of crowds shouting, "Get off! No!
 We want normal music!", I think that was more like acting than anything
 I've ever done.

 Goldie, 8 Nov, 2002
 The Scotsman