[Alsaplayer-devel] generic library for loading sound files

Dominique Michel dominique.michel at citycable.ch
Wed Dec 19 20:09:00 GMT 2007

Le Sun, 16 Dec 2007 21:53:10 -0700,
Sean D'Epagnier <sean at depagnier.com> a écrit :

> Hi, I am attempting to write a program which reads sound files and performs
> audio recognition algorithms.  I do need to be able to read the embedded text
> in the stream if available.
> makes it easy to read files from many formats.  I noticed alsaplayer does not
> make use of a library, but instead has support for 8 formats in the input
> directory.
The problem is that each audio format has its own tag implementation.
AlsaPlayer is using libid3tag for mpeg tag support.

The other formats use the tag support provided by the library used for the
format.

> Would it make sense to try to link my application using the input libraries
> which would require alsaplayer as a dependency, or should I copy the whole
> input directory into my project?  I don't like either solution.. is there
> an even better suggestion?

That you volunteer to transform the core of AlsaPlayer to use floating point
numbers instead of integers. Each input-output plugin have to be converted too.
By doing this, it will be much easier to add new sound formats in AlsaPlayer
like floating point wav files and other formats. Libsndfile and libsamplerate
can be used for that.

Or you can use them directly in your application. But you still will have to
write the tag support.

Cheers,
Dominique