[Alsaplayer-devel] GPL v.3

Dominique Michel dominique.michel at citycable.ch
Sun Jul 8 21:30:09 BST 2007

Le Wed, 04 Jul 2007 11:07:20 -0400,
Hubert Chan <hubert at uhoreg.ca> a écrit :

> On 2007-07-03 17:30:16 -0400 Dominique Michel <dominique.michel at citycable.ch>
> wrote:
>
> > Le Mon, 02 Jul 2007 11:16:52 -0400,
> > Hubert Chan <hubert at uhoreg.ca> a écrit :

> >> I think you would need to have exceptions in the licenses for all the
> >> libraries, though.
> >>

> > You mean not only SGI but also the ones under "gpl2 or later" as they are
> > gpl2.
>
> Hmm... I'm not entirely sure what the legal standing would be, but one
> possibility (the worst case scenario) is this: even if you take the SGI
> plugin out of the main tree, the SGI plugin is still linked against some
> AlsaPlayer code, and AlsaPlayer is linked against code that is GPLed.  So if
> you distribute the SGI plugin, you are still bound by the GPL since it is
> (indirectly) linked against GPLed code.
>
> I'm pretty sure that if you tried to distribute binaries of the SGI plugin
> along with AlsaPlayer, then you would be in trouble, even if you added the
> exception.  I'm not sure about whether you would be allowed to distribute
> binaries of just the SGI plugin, but it may be OK.  It's a bit fuzzy to me
> because AlsaPlayer is the one calling the SGI plugin, and not the other way
> around.
>
> Anyways, probably the best thing to do is take the SGI library out of the
> main tree, make it GPLed with an exception, and add a note that the legality
> of distributing a binary is unsure, and that they should understand the legal
> issues before distributing it.  Also, since the SGI plugin includes
> alsaplayer/output_plugin.h, you may want to add an exception to that as well.
>
> Of course, you need to check with the copyright holder for sgi.c to make sure
> that you can add the exception.

I forget this last point. I just send a mail to him. I will also discuss this
issue with the FSF.

I think that the best to do for now, as I just updated the svn with the GPL-v3,
is to use the code before this licence update for rc2, so we can move
forward with this. And use GPL-v3 for the next one release.

Dominique

--
Dominique Michel

--
N.B.: Tous les emails que je reçois sont filtrés par spamassassin avant de me
parvenir.