[Alsaplayer-devel] 0.99.80-rc2 and future for AlsaPlayer

Dominique Michel dominique.michel at citycable.ch
Fri Jul 13 21:46:36 BST 2007

> * From Fons Adriaensen on the LAA:
> While it's a nice player, it has some serious audio quality
> issues.
>
> - Resampling 44.1 -> 48 kHz (for jack) sounds horrible...
>
> - The sndfile input plugin reduces everything to 16 bits.
>   This is really absurd, even if your files and your
>   sound card are 24 bit you only get 16.
>   Floating point wav files apparently aren't read at all
>   (they load but produce silence when played).
>
> All of this could be solved by using a good resampler
> lib, and making the internal format floating point
> rather than short.

I get more information from Fons. If you don't know him, he is the developer of
Aeolus and other outstanding audio applications:
http://www.kokkinizita.net/linuxaudio/

Quote:
Which good resampling lib can be worth to try?

Libsamplerate <http://www.mega-nerd.com/SRC/> will do all you want.
It has an easy to use API, and could do the varispeed as well.
It's used in Ardour for example. The DSP code is not really optimised,
so it can take some CPU in particular when using the best quality.
It's probably a good idea to select the quality in the Preferences.

But the first step would be to convert all internal sound representation
to floats (libsamplerate also uses floats). Then you'll need to convert
back to ints for ALSA. Code to do this can be found in jack, or in my
clalsadrv library.

End quote

AlsaPlayer is a good alsa player as its name show it. I also think at no one OS
will survive in today computer world without outstanding multimedia capability.
Linux have an ace in regard to sound support: the couple alsa-jack.

I see this issue as very important to solve in AlsaPlayer. AlsaPlayer can be
the best light player with a good jack support and TCP support.

As more users will get interested by AP with the GTK2 interface, I see this
jack issue as more important to solve in the short term as to add TCP support.
The missing TCP support is not a bug, but a feature to add, when the bad sound
quality in jack is a bug.

Is it some volunteer to look at it?

Dominique