[Xapian-devel] Omindex and symlinks

Richard Boulton richard at lemurconsulting.com
Fri Dec 10 17:48:24 GMT 2004

I've just been playing with using omindex to build an index of the
documentation in /usr/share/doc on my Debian workstation.  It's all
working pretty well - indexing took only a few minutes, reindexing
appears to work acceptably, and the search results are okay.  The main
problem I'm seeing is a lot of duplicate results due to directory
symlinks.  Omindex's current behaviour is to follow symlinks, so each
symlinked directory tree is displayed in the result list.

It's easy enough to add support for a "follow-symlinks" option to the
command line parameters, and I'll commit a patch to do this shortly, but
I can't see many situations where it would be advantageous to
follow-symlinks when crawling a directory tree.  Therefore, I propose to
make "don't-follow-symlinks" the default.  Before I do this, does anyone
have a reason not to do this?

--
Richard Boulton <richard at lemurconsulting.com>