[Xapian-devel] Building Xapian on Windows

Olly Betts olly at survex.com
Thu Mar 16 13:23:21 GMT 2006

On Wed, Mar 15, 2006 at 01:50:59AM -0500, bear wrote:
> It seems that since I used a MSVC build of python (version 2.4) and that
> I'm doing a cygwin build of xapian I will have nothing but grief.  :)

Yes, experience so far suggests that's not a viable combination.

> Has Xapian been built using MSVC?  Or is there something I can do to
> build the bindings?

It has - Ulrik Petersen got 0.9.1 to compile.  I integrated most of the
required changes (or fixed issues a different way) but things stalled
when I went away on holiday and we failed to pick it up again when I got
back.

So you may find the latest code just works on MSVC, but I suspect there
will be a few things that MSVC will fail to cope with.

Anyway, here's Ulrik's patched source tree for 0.9.1 which you may find
useful:

http://ulrikp.org/Xapian-Win32-2005-06-30.zip

Patches to fix problems in the code are welcome, but I'm not willing (or
indeed able) to maintain a whole parallel build system solely for MSVC.
MSVC either needs to use the existing one, or someone needs to volunteer
to maintain a build system just for it.

Coincidentally, I think Richard and Charlie are about to look at an MSVC
build of Xapian.