[Xapian-devel] filter by facets and objective c version

Olly Betts olly at survex.com
Fri Apr 27 10:25:40 BST 2012

On Wed, Apr 25, 2012 at 10:58:25AM -0700, Amish Shah wrote:
> Thanks! Someone on my team was able compile xapian for iOS. I'll post more
> details for interested folks when I get a chance to talk to him this
> evening.

It would be interesting to hear if any changes are needed to get it to
build.

> Couple of more questions -
> 1. We got a use case where we'd like to increase the relevancy of specific
> terms on specific pages increases. We're indexing text books, and we'd like
> to take the index from back of the book and make the pages where the index
> words point to bubble higher up in the search result. I've looked at the
> faq and have increased the relevancy of certain documents by changing the
> wdc count. I'm probably not using it correctly, but I don't think it gives
> what we need.

I assume you mean wdf rather than wdc?

This should make pages with an index entry appear higher than they would
otherwise.

I'd suggest inspecting the database with delve and compare a document
as indexed with and without the additional contributions from the book
index.  You can then look at get_description() on your parsed query to
see which terms are generated from the query string.

There are some tips on doing this here:

http://trac.xapian.org/wiki/FAQ/NoMatches

http://trac.xapian.org/wiki/FAQ/Snippets

> 3. Does adding more than one database to the enquire do relevancy ranking
> across the databases?

Yes for searches.

If generating an ESet (via Enquire::get_eset()) with multiple databases,
then the frequencies are approximated by default, but you can use the
USE_EXACT_TERMFREQ flag to force exact values to be calculated and used.