[Xapian-devel] Eleven, twelve; dig and delve (name conflict)

Richard Boulton richard at tartarus.org
Tue Apr 22 07:48:44 BST 2014

Thanks for your polite enquiry.  I think it would be inconvenient for our
users to move delve out of the search path, but I don't think that's
actually the main problem here.

delve is quite widely packaged, I think, and has been around for very many
years, so the problem is that you'll find that there are a lot of systems
around with it installed, many from operating systems and distributions
that we (as Xapian) don't have any direct knowledge of.  I think it would
take a long time to find all such distributions, let alone to change the
installed location of delve on them.

Put plainly, if you reuse the delve name, you're likely to get a load of
bug reports from confused users saying that delve doesn't work or accept
the options your documentation says, due to users getting our version of
delve instead of yours.

We're also likely to receive similar reports the other way round, so my
personal opinion is that it would be better for you to try and find a
different name.

Sorry not to be more helpful

--
Richard