GSOC-2016 "Implement Bindings for Go"

James Aylett james-xapian at tartarus.org
Thu Mar 10 11:14:16 GMT 2016

On Thu, Mar 10, 2016 at 12:44:06AM +0300, Alexander Dodich wrote:

> I`m a student and I`m interested in project "Implement Bindings for
> Go" I`m engaged in the development on Golang more than 2 years,
> also, I have some experience in C++.  I`ve already considered SWIG
> and examined the structure Xapian API (I`ve read the documentation,
> built the project from sources, written several simple examples).
> I`d like to discuss the project in detail.

Hi, Alexander. For the Go bindings project, you'll need to figure out
how you're going to structure the work. Assuming you've got Marius
Tibeica's proof of concept building and working, you can decide
whether that's a sensible foundation or if you're better off starting
from scratch. Either way, the timeline part of your proposal (which is
one of the most important) is where you can lay out how the project
will break down into smaller pieces, and what order you do them
in. Once you've got a draft, we can give you feedback on it (and
indeed we encourage that -- the strongest proposals are usually ones
that were discussed early on, giving time to improve them before final
submission).

Have you worked through our guide for potential GSoC students? It's a
good idea to get familiar with Xapian, including if possible getting a
small change accepted and merged, to get a feel for how things work.

  James Aylett, occasional trouble-maker
  xapian.org