[Xapian-discuss] debs missing query templates

James Aylett james-xapian at tartarus.org
Tue Nov 23 16:03:04 GMT 2004

On Tue, Nov 23, 2004 at 03:52:53PM +0000, Olly Betts wrote:

> It should probably be xapian-omega rather than omega since the package
> name is xapian-omega.

Indeed.

> And the templates should really be under /var since it's expected
> they'll be modified.

Less keen on this, because I don't think web content belongs in
/var. Perhaps I'm old fashioned, but it makes no sense to me
whatsoever; when was the last time you edited something in /var that
wasn't a website?

Thinking about it, I don't think it's a good idea to have /all/
templates available straightaway. Perhaps we could put them in
/usr/share/doc/xapian-omega/ and perhaps put one in wherever they're
going to be used from. We don't want to install godmode by default,
for instance.

> Similarly the RPMs expect the database directory to be:
>
> /var/lib/omega/data
>
> Xapian database are portable between platforms, so again /var/share is
> more correct.  The default omega.conf we ship also gets this wrong.

I'm happy with that. (This does belong in /var, because it's generated
by a program.)

> I don't thing writing and maintaining man pages in addition to --help
> output and HTML documentation is a sensible use of resources.
>
> I'd suggest using help2man to turn the --help output into a man page.
> That way there's a man page with some useful information, and a pointer
> to the HTML documentation.  And it won't suffer from bitrot.

I'd be happy with that.