[Xapian-discuss] Performance question

Olly Betts olly at survex.com
Wed Sep 1 16:31:01 BST 2004

On Wed, Sep 01, 2004 at 11:01:09AM -0400, Jim Lynch wrote:
> I'm testing an Irix instance of 0.8.1.  I have a number of documents
> indexed, here is a directory listing:
>
> /usr/local/lib/oasis/closed22:
>[...]

How many documents are already indexed?  Running "delve
/usr/local/lib/oasis/closed22" will tell you.

> Does this sound like it is performing OK?  It seems a little slow to me,
> but I'd like another opinion.

145 documents in just under a minute does sound slow, but I don't know
what the hardware is, or if the machine is doing other tasks.  Also, is
the index script using "unique"?  There will be some overhead in that.

If you're building from scratch and know the source data has no
duplicates, you could use a variant of the index script without the
unique action in and see if that helps.

Incidentally, 0.8.2 will be significantly faster in general, even
without increasing the number of documents per flush.