[Xapian-discuss] Xapian on AMD64

James Aylett james-xapian at tartarus.org
Thu Aug 4 15:06:37 BST 2005

On Thu, Aug 04, 2005 at 10:17:44AM -0300, Christiano Anderson wrote:

> I would like to know if anyone is running Xapian on AMD64 (or IA64)
> machines. Is there any advantage of using 64bit arch for Xapian?
>
> I am still making some tests, my machine is a Athlon 64 3000+ running
> Debian GNU/Linux from http://amd64.debian.net
>
> I also have two IA64 machines, but I haven't make any test yet.. I just
> like to hear a third part opinion.

Not sure about advantages, and right now I can't guarantee it'll even
work. I just tried to build Xapian up as 64bit on Solaris/Sparc, and
it failed - apparently due to GCC library issues, but the actual
reason is anyone's guess.

You should be able to run 32bit executables on AMD64, shouldn't you?
The processor can manage it, no idea if linux can cope. By compiling
up as 64bit you'll get few advantages I can think of ...