[Xapian-discuss] Xapian on AMD64

James Aylett james-xapian at tartarus.org
Fri Aug 5 14:43:53 BST 2005

On Fri, Aug 05, 2005 at 10:14:28AM -0300, Christiano Anderson wrote:

> > Ooh, I've built a 64bit Xapian on Solaris/Sparc. That was unpleasantly
> > difficult, though. libtool and/or g++-as-ld doesn't play well with C++
> > 64bit builds. Yuck, yuck, yuck. And I'm still trying to build the test
> > suite :-(
>
> What happen when you try to compile under Solaris? Are you using gcc
> packages from sunfreeware?

To be honest, not sure - I'm just using our standard build environment
at work, which I didn't set up. It's gcc 3.3, and I imagine it came
from Sun Freeware. For 64 bit you have to add in -m64 to CXXFLAGS.

It builds for 64 bit quite happily in principle, but I've never built
C++ using it (it gets the libstdc++ location wrong) or easily for
thread-needy stuff (I had a problem the other day that was very
similar with sleepycat, which uses pthreads as does Xapian - although
my diagnosis of what's common here may be completely off).

What happens is that I can build the objects happily, but at link
(library or application) it tries to link in libgcc_s and libstdc++
from the 32bit directory not the 64bit one. This is almost certainly a
compiler/libtool configuration problem on the host here rather than
anything else. When I get a chance I'll stick Solaris 10 on a spare
box and try that, as I have a suspicion that may be easier.