[Xapian-discuss] Question regarding the GPL license for Xapian

Basil Abbas basil at bloxware.com
Mon Aug 8 08:56:18 BST 2005

Hi all,

I'm currently working on a commercial product for information sharing, three months ago I made a search for a good search engine and decided to use the Xapian engine. However, at that time I was missing what GPL really means and the 'viral' aspect of the GPL license never came to me until recently when a friend told me. This means for my product to stay commerical I'll have to switch to another search engine with a lesser license, which will take me lots of extra time since I'll have to re-write the indexer and search parts of my product.

 My product is a full web-application (in PHP) with an extra PHP extension writtern to interface with the xapian search and indexes created by Xapian from the MySQL database which is run on regular intervals.  Is there another way to keep my product commercial and at the same time use Xapian as the main search engine ?

 Please advise since this will be helpful,

 Basil