[Xapian-discuss] Re: Getting Omega to execute and generate XML

R. Mattes rm at mh-freiburg.de
Mon Aug 15 23:15:54 BST 2005

On Mon, 15 Aug 2005 19:22:29 +0200, Floris Bos wrote:

> Hi Ralf,
>
> Thanks again for the info. I indeed mixed up a few things (putting the
> templates in the cgi dir wasn't very smart). I've used your comments and
> have been able to call omega the right way. However now I get the following
> error in my browser window when calling Omega: this program cannot run in
> DOS mode (and after that a whole lot of strange signs - the source code of
> the omega executable I guess).
>
> I'm running on a Windows XP pc with Cygwin installed on it. However I have
> my webserver (Apache) and PHP installed on Windows (not build under Cygwin).
> I thought I would be able to build Omega under Cygwin and than use it in
> combination with my Apache webserver that runs in my Windows XP environment.
> Now I'm starting to get the feeling that in order to work with Omega I need
> to build Apache under Cygwin and serve my webpage from there (this would
> mean I also have to build PHP and Mysql within Cygwin). Is this the case?

Hmm, i neverworked with Cygwin (actually, never worked with MS stuff at
all :) but i can well imagine that cygwin programs need some sort of
runtime environment that the Windows Apache doesn't provide (after all,
CGIs need environment variables and maybe standard in/out ...).

> I thougt that I would be able to call Omega straight from Apache running
> in Windows XP environment because I can also use scriptindex.exe like
> this.

I guess it's time to consult an cygwin expert.

> By the way, my omega config file is in this dir:
> C:\cygwin\home\Omega\etc
>
> It looks like this:
>
> database_dir /home/omega/data
> template_dir /home/omega/templates
> log_dir /var/log/omega
>
> I hope you can help me understand this better because I'm getting
> confused by building under Cygwin wether programs build under Cygwin can
> only be used from within the Cygwin environment or not.

Sorry, i'm affraid i can't help here.

 Cheers RalfD