[Xapian-discuss] Python bindings

James Aylett james-xapian at tartarus.org
Fri Jun 17 07:44:05 BST 2005

On Thu, Jun 16, 2005 at 11:01:40PM +0100, Olly Betts wrote:

> > Same behaviour with CVS xapian-core and CVS xapian-bindings on
> > ixion.
>
> I guess you mean SVN not CVS?

Erm, yes :-)

(I spend about an hour a day writing emails at work about CVS at the
moment, and it's such an easy shape to type :-)

> > (Incidentally, xapian-core isn't passing checks for me
> Odd - the tinderbox builds on ixion are passing checks.  What fails for
> you?

I'll get back to you - it occurs to me that I have some strange stuff
in my install path that might have been causing problems.

> > xapian-bindings we need to do some work on autodetection because guile
> > is failing nastily and I had to manually disable it.)
>
> I'm wondering if we should just disable guile.  The chap working on it
> had his laptop hard disk die.  Last I heard, he was going to spend the
> weekend tring to coax useful files off, but that was some time ago so
> I assume he didn't manage to.

:(

> I had a fiddle ages ago, but I don't really know guile at all and
> trying to learn a language by getting C++ bindings working for it is
> quite hard!

:-)

I had them working ages ago, mostly - scheme seems a fairly nice
language. Using anything underneath SWIG requires a fairly good
understanding of the language, though ...