[Xapian-discuss] issues with accessing an index

Olly Betts olly at survex.com
Fri Feb 3 22:26:06 GMT 2006

On Tue, Jan 24, 2006 at 10:16:16PM +0000, Salem Berhanu wrote:
> Actually in both cases I had no indexing running (ie. when I was quering
> and compacting). Even now when I don't have anything running I keep getting
> the same messages.

James has suggested the most likely cause by far.

There's a small possibility that a corrupted database could also cause
this error.  Corruption could be due to:

* a Xapian bug (though I don't think I've ever seen that).

* running two updates at once.  To manage this the locking would have to
  not work - it should be NFS safe, but perhaps some FS with odd
  semantics could cause this.  Or maybe someone just deleted the lock file.

* a software (e.g. operating system) or hardware problem.

> How can I get around this for now, next time I will try
> to avoid extensive querying while indexing

Try running quartzcheck on the database.  If it reports problems, then
you'll have to rebuild the database I'm afraid.  If not, I'm not sure
what's going on.  How big is the database?