[Xapian-discuss] PHP bindings

James Aylett james-xapian at tartarus.org
Tue Oct 3 11:37:30 BST 2006

On Mon, Oct 02, 2006 at 06:48:27PM +0100, Francis Irving wrote:

> I can see lots of stuff making it more like better designed
> programming languages.
>     http://www.zend.com/php5/articles/engine2-php5-changes.php
> However it is all things we have already worked round. It looks
> to me like an attempt by Zend to move into PHP/Perl territory,
> rather than playing to PHPs strengths.

PHP5 sorts out object-by-reference properly, in a way that PHP4 made
impossible (foreach doesn't play nicely with references in PHP4, for
example). And PHP6 will (hopefully) give us a Unicode core, which
while not essential should sort out some of the remaining transcoding
issues that are fairly hard (although post-PHP 4.3 or so it at least
becomes possible to fix yourself).

Most of the other changes don't seem to win very much for people who
have being using PHP for a while and developed their own frameworks.

> Are there any performance benefits? For example, it still doesn't seem
> to cache compiled bytecode.

The engine is faster, and I believe the parser is also quite a bit
faster (which is the main problem with PHP4 in my experience).