[Xapian-discuss] Python 2.1 support

James Aylett james-xapian at tartarus.org
Fri Oct 13 11:16:53 BST 2006

On Thu, Oct 12, 2006 at 06:08:58PM +0100, Olly Betts wrote:

> > Unless anyone pipes up who needs this support, I'm +1 on dropping
> > it. Python 2.3 was *much* better than 2.1, and as you say 2.5 has
> > landed now.
>
> Useful to know.  I think for now there's no extra effort required
> for 2.2 onwards so that would be my plan.

Yes, we should keep 2.2+ as long as possible. (I remember 2.2 -> 2.3
being fairly quick, which means we should keep both of them until we
drop both of them; I suspect that won't be before 3.0 ... we don't
have to worry about it yet :-)

> I suspect there's no Python 2.1 patch because the bug probably doesn't
> affect 2.1!  It looks like --enable-unicode=ucs4 was new in Python 2.2:
>
> http://www.python.org/doc/2.2.3/whatsnew/node8.html

Erm ... yeah, good point.

> I suspect that security patches for 2.1 aren't top priority for the
> Python developers now though.

It wasn't even mentioned as "this isn't vulnerable", so I suspect
you're right.