[Xapian-discuss] Xapian or Clucene for mobile device

Kevin Duraj kevin.softdev at gmail.com
Fri Dec 14 08:45:57 GMT 2007

Sun Jianhong,

I have done lot of research and performance and quality searches
between MySQL 5 Full-Text, MS SQL 2005 Full-Text, Lucene and Xapian.
All my performance and quality measurements showed to be Xapian the
fastest in indexing and searching. On my surprise I found Lucene to be
the slowest search engine and having the poorest quality results, but
having the largest community compare to MySQL 5 Full-Text, MS SQL 2005
and Xapian.

WHY? (let's investigate closer)

Performance:
- Lucene uses compound file format by default. Xapian and others used
B-Tree by default. Building and searching the compound file format
takes more time than building B-Tree. Therefore Lucene, Clucene etc.
indexing and searching is many times slower than indexing and
searching the same amount of data using Xapian.

Quality of searches:
- Lecene uses Levenstein distance between two string instead of Xapian
using BM25 matching documents according to their relevance to a given
search query and returns much better quality of results than
Levenstein distance algorithm.

I do not want you to get bored with more information and statistics,
but you can continue the research in case I missed something, cheers!
  Kevin Duraj
  http://UncensoredWebSearch.com