[Xapian-discuss] Building RPM on RHEL4

Olly Betts olly at survex.com
Fri Jun 1 10:05:19 BST 2007

On Fri, Jun 01, 2007 at 09:38:29AM +0100, Richard Boulton wrote:
> (Of course, .pyc and .pyo files shouldn't be included in debian
> packages, since they'll be generated at install time.  I imagine RPM
> does something similar.)

For Fedora at least, the current recommendation is to install them:

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging/Python#head-e48d83dfeb5e671e2018d361d6e75d7e6c6e519c

So it sounds like we should remove the "%ghost" (which seems to
mean "don't install this file, but do remove it when uninstalling
the package if it exists").

If I understand correctly, RPM generates .pyc and .pyo automatically
for any .py file at package build time.  But RHEL 4 has an older
version of RPM before this feature was added, which is why Tim hit
this problem.