[Xapian-discuss] Thesaurus feature?

Olly Betts olly at survex.com
Fri Jun 22 19:03:01 BST 2007

On Sun, May 13, 2007 at 04:35:54AM +0100, Olly Betts wrote:
> On Sat, May 12, 2007 at 09:46:54PM -0500, Yannick Warnier wrote:
> > I was just having a quick look at Xapian's documentation again and
> > wondering... Does Xapian offer some kind of thesaurus functionality?
> No, there's no thesaurus feature at present.
> > If not, would it be trivial to implement one considering the current
> > API, or is that something that might take very long?
> Implementing the code to handle a thesaurus probably isn't a major
> project - it depends exactly what you're expecting it to do though.
> For example, it should be hard to add an "and synonyms" query operator
> so `~facts' might be roughly equivalent to `(facts OR information OR
> data OR statistics)'.

FYI, I've just committed a "synonym" implementation to SVN, which should
be in Xapian 1.0.2.

I've not implemented a synonym operator (e.g. `~facts') yet, but I
probably will shortly.  At present, you enable "auto synonyms" and
they're used for any appropriate query terms (or groups of terms) which
have synonyms.