[Xapian-discuss] Incremental indexing limitations

Olly Betts olly at survex.com
Fri Oct 19 04:22:06 BST 2007

On Thu, Oct 18, 2007 at 08:46:44AM +0200, Ron Kass wrote:
> >The problem is that this messes up paging through results, because the
> >next query will probably time out differently (or not at all, given
> >we'll probably have most of the blocks we need cached).

> Since almost 100% of surfers to a search page will press the refresh
> button if a search took more than 15 seconds

Actually, there's a good chance the repeated search will run more quickly
since a lot of the data required will now be cached!

> even if timing out a search after 10 or 15 seconds messes up results,
> I have a strong feeling that its better to show some results, even
> inaccurate ones, than no results.

Personally, I'd rather spend my time on finding and fixing any such bad
cases.  But if you feel strongly and can come up with a clean patch,
I'll certainly consider it for inclusion.