[Xapian-discuss] Remote database search issues

Ron Kass ron at pidgintech.com
Sun Oct 28 01:23:19 BST 2007

Olly Betts wrote:

> On Sat, Oct 27, 2007 at 07:03:34PM +0200, Ron Kass wrote:
>
>> So instead of
>> Database::open('/data/ftsdirectory') you can do
>> Database::open('/stubfile.dat')
>>

> Ah yes, of course you can.  Sorry I didn't think of that.

Although as I said, there is a clear disadvantage here when you want to
dynamically manage your connections. Could possibly create the stub file
on the fly, but its faster if we wrap the Remote class. We will look
into doing it soon maybe.
>> 2) We tried remote search over tcpsrv... which we can not really use
>> besides for testing, until it supports parallel searches, which is
>> something xapian-progsrv does support as far as we understand.
>>

> No, that's wrong.  Does it say that somewhere in the documentation?  If
> so, let me know where and I'll fix it.

Which of the two is wrong? :)
CAN you run searches with tcpsrv in parallel?
or can you NOT run searches in parallel with progsrv?
If you CAN run searches in parallel with tcpsrv, then this page contains
wrong information:
http://www.xapian.org/docs/remote.html : Under "The TCP Method", the
last line... "Once started, the server will run and listen for
connections on the configured port, currently handling them one by one
(although this will change at some point)."
>> search speed was bad. A search for a single word (like gift) takes well
>> over a second for the first search. something that fast when running
>> locally. Even when done on the same machine (with localhost) its not
>> that fast.
>>

> Until we track down your uninitialised weights issue, I don't think
> performance testing is going to give reliable results.

What can we do to help track this? If it requires debugging part of the
code, I would be happy to. If you can let us know what to do or at least
point us in the right direction, that would be great.

> Cheers,
>     Olly

Cheers,
Ron