[Xapian-discuss] Tcl binding - issues with configure

Olly Betts olly at survex.com
Fri Apr 18 01:05:02 BST 2008

On Thu, Apr 17, 2008 at 10:48:51AM +0100, Eric Junkermann wrote:
> TCL_LIB=/usr/lib + tcllibdir = @TCL_LIB@/../xapian at VERSION@ gives you
> /usr/xapian1.0.6, which is why I changed it, ending up with
> /usr/lib/xapian1.0.6

Ah, sorry - I managed to read that part backwards and thought you'd
added the ".." rather than removed it.  Yes, that certainly is wrong.
Now fixed in SVN (and I've updated that wiki page to note this).

> Apparently the right approach for determining
> where to install is to find and use tclConfig.sh which is part of the Tcl
> installation.

I tried this before, but it doesn't seem easy to determine where this
script lives.  You can get the same directory list that tclConfig.sh has
in TCL_PACKAGE_PATH from tclsh by looking at $tcl_pkgPath and it's much
easier to locate tclsh (and we need it for other things).  This also
avoids any risk of finding tclConfig.sh from a different Tcl
installation to the tclsh we're using.