[Xapian-discuss] libraries too large ?

Adi Oanca adioanca at gmail.com
Sun Jan 6 19:36:25 GMT 2008

Hi,

   I'm a new Xapian user, and I have a small question about it.

   Can the library sizes be reduced a bit more?

I downloaded Xapian sources on both Windows/Mingw+Msys and Ubuntu
linux, then did:

mkdir BUILD
cd BUILD
../configure
make

and in both cases I get petty big static and shared libraries.

on Windows/MinGW+Msys:
libxapian-15.dll --- 15.354.367 bytes
libxapian.a --- 51.485.856 bytes
libxapian.dll.a --- 2.247.966 bytes

on Linux:
libxapian.a --- 23.432.504 bytes
libxapian.so --- 12.033.320 bytes

Can anyone please tell me how I can shrink the size of these libraries?

I see it's possible because the cygwin package from the Xapian website
offers a .dll with a size of 2.714.156 bytes. Same with the Linux
version from Ubuntu repository, which has 1.567.308 bytes.

Thank you,
Adi.