[Xapian-discuss] Help me compile xapian + python on solaris

Olly Betts olly at survex.com
Sat Jan 12 00:23:15 GMT 2008

On Fri, Jan 11, 2008 at 06:56:48PM -0500, mario alejandro wrote:
> Also, I try with gmake, and get this error:
>
> ar_traits.h: In static member function `static wchar_t*
> std::char_traits<wchar_t
> >::assign(wchar_t*, size_t, wchar_t)':
> /usr/sfw/lib/gcc/i386-pc-solaris2.11
> /3.4.3/../../../../include/c++/3.4.3/bits/ch
> ar_traits.h:344: error: `wmemset' undeclared (first use this function)

Well, there's no use of wmemset() in our code (or the Python headers):

$ tar zxf xapian-bindings-1.0.5.tar.gz
$ grep -r wmemset xapian-bindings-1.0.5
$ grep -r wmemset /usr/include/python2.3
$ grep -r wmemset /usr/include/python2.4
$

The top hit when googling for your error message is an OpenSolaris bug
for this issue:

http://www.google.com/search?q=char_traits.h%3A344%3A+error+wmemset+undeclared

A crude hack which might work is just to remove the reference to wmemset
from the header the error is reported in.

Otherwise, I think you need to consider deploying on a different
platform if you have a tight deadline.  Xapian+Python works well on
Linux, which is certainly solid on i386 hardware, and most of the
popular Linux distros come with prebuilt Xapian and Python packages
which would save you time.  FreeBSD is another obvious option and
both Xapian and the python bindings are in the FreeBSD ports tree.