[Xapian-discuss] Help with weights

Robert Kaye rob at eorbit.net
Wed Jul 2 22:00:02 BST 2008

On Jul 1, 2008, at 6:14 PM, Olly Betts wrote:
> Are you adding this type term to queries?  If not, the effect of
> indexing the type term with those termcounts will be to increase the
> document length of albums.  That will tend to decrease the
> importance of
> each occurrence of "love" in the album title, so albums will indeed
> tend
> to rank lower.

Ah ha -- that explains it -- thanks.

> Xapian::Query album_boost("XTYPEalbum");
> album_boost = Xapian::Query(Xapian::Query::OP_SCALE_WEIGHT,
> album_boost, 4.2);
> query = Xapian::Query(Xapian::Query::OP_AND_MAYBE, query,
> album_boost);

OK, I see how that can be really useful. Since I am providing an end
user search service, should I write my own parser and generate my own
queries or should I post-process the results from QueryParser to tack
on the fields that would give the user better search results?

--

--ruaok      Somewhere in Texas a village is *still* missing its idiot.

Robert Kaye     --     rob at eorbit.net     --    http://mayhem-chaos.net