[Xapian-discuss] [Xapian-devel] Dealing with image PDF's

Olly Betts olly at survex.com
Thu Jul 31 13:41:45 BST 2008

On Thu, Jul 31, 2008 at 01:40:13PM +0200, Reini Urban wrote:
> 2008/7/31 Richard Boulton <richard at lemurconsulting.com>:
> > Perhaps the patch should go in a ticket; that way, we're less likely to
> > forget about it.
>
> Ticket? Uh my fault. I never though about that. Sounds useful :)
> http://trac.xapian.org/ticket/285

See also my recent update of the version of your patch you pasted into
the wiki:

http://trac.xapian.org/ticket/282

> Should probably be splitted into multiple tickets, patches.

Yes, that would be useful.

I found yet another version of your patch too:

http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.search.xapian.general/3141

The most useful way forwards is for you to give us these changes split
into patches which do one thing cleanly.  I'd suggest starting with the
features which are most "polished".

Patches against trunk are most helpful, as that's where we'll want to
apply them (though 1.0.7 is probably similar enough to not cause too
many conflicts).

> I solved the preconfigured binary package problem with packaging
> dependencies.

That just means that users of the binary package are forced to install
all the filters which are supported, whether they want them or not.
So if the OCR patches go in, then you'd be forced to install gocr by
the package manager, rather defeating your original point surely?

Or else the binary package maintainer has to decide for all users that
they can't have gocr support.

> I cache would be overkill.

Well, it's already implemented and working...

> Another advantage of such a config setting would be to hardcode the
> actual helper location and don't search the whole PATH at runtime for it.

The shell should cache the actual locations for performance, so unless
you can show there's a measurable overhead, I don't see this is much of
an advantage.

It has its drawbacks too - e.g. it prevents me from installing a private
newer version of one of the filters and adding it to the front of my
PATH to get it used.  Instead I have to rebuild Omega from source.