[Xapian-discuss] questions about xapian

Olly Betts olly at survex.com
Thu Apr 16 02:55:16 BST 2009

Please don't post the same message to both xapian-discuss and xapian-devel.
Pick whichever is most appropriate for your message and use that.

On Wed, Apr 15, 2009 at 10:46:47AM +0800, ???×? wrote:
>      i have read code of xapian more than one month,i leant a lot from your code
> both form design of search engine and code details.
>      however, something make me in a puzzle.
>      Take  RefCntBase as an example, it seems that it is a "kernel" of xapian, as
> many classes inherit from it. But,what is it funtion? why is it so important?

It's just an implementation detail - don't worry about it if you are
only wanting to use the API.

(If you're wanting to understand how Xapian works, it's a base class for
objects which we want to reference count).

>      Another confusion is about Valuerangeprocess. I really want to make clear
> differences between valuerange-search and common search in details. I added
>    Xapian::DateValueRangeProcessor date_proc(2, true, 1930);
>     qp.add_valuerangeprocessor(&date_proc);
> in my code and my code works well. then, I debug it using gdb.
> however,i can not be inspired. Is there any important information i
> did not catch?

Did you read this:

http://xapian.org/docs/valueranges.html

Otherwise, please ask about the specifics of what you want to know.
It's much harder to answer such general questions.