[Xapian-discuss] Xapian 1.0.7-3.1 (python libs) : can't find anything

Olly Betts olly at survex.com
Thu Apr 23 12:22:44 BST 2009

[Please don't top post...]

On Thu, Apr 23, 2009 at 12:46:26PM +0200, Cedric Jeanneret wrote:
> [server where's my search engine]
> root at sawi:/var/lib/xapian_dbs/commun# delve --version
> delve - xapian-core 1.0.7
>
> [source server]
> delve --version
> delve - xapian-core 0.9.9

Note that 0.9.9 isn't a version we support now.  You really should
upgrade.

> I guess that's the trick..... indexes made with 0.9.9 aren't
> compatible with 1.0.7... ?

Flint indexes aren't compatible between those versions, but you should
get an error, and we have test coverage for this case in the testsuite.

Quartz indexes should be compatible.  It sounds like you are using
quartz here as 0.9.x defaults to quartz and 1.0.x should happily read
it.

Hard to say what is going on.  Might be the database is wrong due to a
bug in 0.9.9, or perhaps we somehow broke quartz compatibility.  I just
had a look through the diff for quartz and I don't see anything suspect
but it's hard to know.

You could run "quartzcheck" on it on each of the servers - that might
throw up something.

Otherwise I'm not sure it's worth a lot of effort to investigate further.
It's certainly regrettable if we did break compatibility, but if we
really did and nobody has noticed so far, it doesn't seem like it's
actually a big problem...