[Xapian-discuss] xapian-compact 'undefined symbol' error

Olly Betts olly at survex.com
Fri Aug 14 02:51:18 BST 2009

On Sun, Aug 02, 2009 at 01:53:52PM +0100, Olly Betts wrote:
> Hopefully 1.0.15's library will restore compatibility with older
> versions of xapian-compact, but it is more complex than I'd hoped as the
> class changed size and layout a few releases ago.

Having poked at this further, I think the best approach is not to try to
add any ABI kludges here, because as things stand you get a reliable
failure to resolve a symbol, whereas with the kludges, some combinations
fail with segfaults, and could conceivably misbehave in weirder ways.

So I think we just declare that you should use matching xapian-compact
and libxapian, at least for 1.0.x.  This is most relevant to people
who build binary packages, so I've started a page of advice for them
including this and a few other tips:

http://trac.xapian.org/wiki/PackagingXapian

Feel free to add further packaging wisdom there.