[Xapian-discuss] relocation against 'a local symbol' on make

Olly Betts olly at survex.com
Wed Oct 21 16:32:37 BST 2009

On Tue, Oct 20, 2009 at 12:12:07AM +0100, James Aylett wrote:
> Where would you have expected to find a list of requirements for
> building from source? If there's somewhere you looked and didn't find
> anything helpful, maybe we can improve things for future folk :)

This is detailed in INSTALL.

But even if you don't find and read that, you should get this message from
configure if the zlib headers aren't installed:

    zlib.h not found - required for flint (you may need to install the
    zlib1g-dev or zlib-devel package)

That even gives the package names you need to install for common Linux distros
so I'm not sure how much clearer we can be.  If you don't actually get that
message, then something isn't working as intended.