PuTTY version 0.59 is released

Simon Tatham anakin at pobox.com
Wed Jan 24 21:33:47 GMT 2007

PuTTY version 0.59 is released
------------------------------

All the pre-built binaries, and the source code, are now available
from the PuTTY website at

New features in this release include:

 - PuTTY can now connect to a local serial port, as an alternative
   to making a network connection.

 - Windows PuTTY now has the same local proxy support as Unix PuTTY
   (equivalent to OpenSSH's `ProxyCommand' option), allowing network
   connections to be managed by a separate proxy program of your
   choice. Plink also has a new `-nc' mode which makes it a useful
   local proxy command.

 - The manual is now provided in HTMLHelp format as well as
   old-style WinHelp, meaning that online help will be available on
   Windows Vista.

 - Support for password expiry in SSH-2.

 - Various performance improvements and cryptography upgrades.

Bug fixes in this release include:

 - PuTTY should now run on all variants of Windows XP, without
   giving the `application configuration is incorrect' error.

 - The file transfer utilities PSCP and PSFTP now support files
   bigger than 2Gb (provided the underlying operating system does
   too).

 - Font linking (the automatic use of other fonts on the system to
   provide Unicode characters not present in the selected one)
   should now work again on Windows, after being broken in 0.58.

 - On Windows, the random seed file PUTTY.RND should now be stored
   in a more sensible place by default.

 - IPv6 should now work in Windows Vista as well as earlier versions
   of Windows.

 - Numerous other small bug fixes.

Enjoy using PuTTY!

Cheers,
Simon
--
Simon Tatham         "The voices in my head are trying to ignore me.
<anakin at pobox.com>    But if I keep talking, I can drive them insane."