[Snowball-discuss] RE: Snowball-discuss digest, Vol 1 #25 - 1 msg

Martin Porter martin_porter@softhome.net
Mon, 24 Dec 2001 12:26:57 -0700

>1. The endings -er (and -ier) and -est (and -iest) for
>comparative and superlative forms of adjectives and adverbs
>seem to be missing.  I suggest
>they belong in the list of Inflexional endings.

They are missing because they are not part of the Porter stemmer. You may
object to that, but it's a different issue.

Whether they are inflectional or derivational is an interesting question,
touched on in the intro document (which you ought to read). They seems to be
inflectional until you try to formulate a rule as to which adjectives can
take them.

>2. You said:
>> This is a minimum
>> list: you can argue for other forms (ableness for example).
>So I presume this list was created in a somewhat manual way.

No, it's created by a program, but you can argue about how the program
should be written.

All for now, and Merry Christmas,

Martin