[Fwd: [Snowball-discuss] Do not send passwords in the clear!]

Tolkin, Steve Steve.Tolkin@FMR.COM
Tue Oct 1 17:53:02 2002

Actually it is possible to make changing passswords much more secure.
A request to change a password sends a confirmation number to the
currently known email address, and this number must be provided
on the web page.  That prevents an attacker who cannot intercept
the target's email, which is reasonably difficult.

But coding this is probably not worth while for a low
security topic like Snowball.

Hopefully helpfully yours,
Steve
--
Steven Tolkin          steve.tolkin@fmr.com      617-563-0516
Fidelity Investments   82 Devonshire St. V8D     Boston MA 02109