[Snowball-discuss] Porter2: Accident and Accidentally

Steve Jones mr_srjones@hotmail.com
Fri Jan 24 14:56:01 2003

<P>Hi</P>
<P>I am new to the group, so please fogive me if I am repeating something which has already been discussed. I recently came across the instructions to create a Porter 2 Stemmer and created my own version (everyone loves a challenge!) in Java.</P>
<P>I noticed that the word "accident" and "accidentally" are stemmed differently, as is "incident" and "incidentally".&nbsp;There may be others but I haven't found the time to look.&nbsp;</P><PRE>accident -&gt; accid<BR>accidentally -&gt; accident
<PRE>incident -&gt; incid<BR><PRE>incidentally -&gt; incident
</PRE></PRE></PRE>
<P>Has anyone come across this before? Is there any way to fix?</P>
<P>Regards,</P>
<P>Steve</P>